Friday, May 30, 2008

Teach or explain

May 30, 2008


Psalms 119:33-34 GNB
(33) Teach me, LORD, the meaning of your laws, and I will obey them at all times.
(34) Explain your law to me, and I will obey it; I will keep it with all my heart.


As a part time teacher of college students I know the difference between teaching and explaining. When it comes to the computer classes I teach, I can teach over and over again and some will just not get it. Teaching is just the facts. But when I explain it then the light bulb goes on over their heads. Explaining it means that I take it down to there level. They may understand how to do something, but when they realize why it is that way, then the have learned.

Verse 33 tells us that when God teaches me I will obey. I do not know why I am obeying, but I will obey. I liken that to training a very young child. When my children were very young I told them what shows they could watch and what ones they could not. I did not have to explain it and I am not sure that it would make a difference if I did.

Verse 34 is where the change is. When God explains why the law is the way it is, then I will obey it and move it into my heart, where my spirit and soul meet. As my children got older I explained why they could not watch some shows. Now they have it in their heart. The other day my daughter came home from a sleep over and told me how all the girls wanted to watch a PG-13 movie with a lot of swearing. She knew what was in her heart because I had explained why not to do it. Though she was made fun of, she stuck to her guns and would not watch it.

As we mature in Christ, we will move from the teaching to the explanations. Take time to move in that direction with God.


Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Psalms 119:1-88
Tomorrow

1 Kings 3:1-4:34, 2 Chronicles 1:1-17, Psalms 72:1-20

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list