Sunday, May 18, 2008

Whose dime?

May 18, 2008

Psalms 40:1-3 VW
(1) [To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.]
I waited patiently for Jehovah, and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
(2) He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and secured my steps.
(3) And He has put a new song in my mouth, praise to our God; many shall see it and fear, and shall trust in Jehovah.


A few months ago, an associate pastor at my church gave a sermon called 'On a dime.' His theory in the sermon was that God can turn your situation around on a dime. To make his point, he gave out praise report cards with a dime taped to them. When the situation that you needed prayer for that night was turned around, you were supposed to turn the card and the dime back in as a testimony that god did it.

One of the things that he brought up is though God can turn it around on a dime, it is not always our dime that He will turn it around on. In fact, God likes to turn it around on His dime not ours. When we try to change things or get God to change things on our own time, things get messed up. In stead, we need to look at getting things done in God's time. verse 2 shows us some of the benefits of doing it God's way. He will lift us out of the horrible life that we live in and put us on to something secure. In my own life I have tried to lift myself up on my own many times. Not once has it turned out well.

A further benefit is talked about in verse 3. When we get to that secure place we will have a song of praise in our hearts. I had to cut the grass in my yard today. Since it is not a fun job I tend to want to avoid it till it needs it. Normally I just go out and do it. today was different. Thought I have a lot of attacks going on right now, I took the chance to put a new song in my heart. I put on my mp3 player and started mowing. While I was singing along with the music I noticed the neighbors looking at me like I was strange. I guess I was. You know what, the rest of verse three came true. Many saw it and feared. Well maybe not feared, but you get the idea. My faith is that they will begin to look at me and my situation and the fact that I was praising God in the troubles.

So whose dime do you want to wait on, God's or your own.


Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Psalms 26:1-12, Psalms 40:1-17, Psalms 58:1-11, Psalms 61:1-8, Psalms 62:1-12, Psalms 64:1-10
Tomorrow
2 Samuel 19:1-21:22
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool