Thursday, May 8, 2008

The shadow of God's wings

May 8, 2008

As I write these words this morning I have a deep appreciation for the words of the scripture I have chosen.

Psalms 36:7 KJV
(7) How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.


You see, we had a big storm go through the Tulsa area where I live. If things had been normal, I would have been at work when it hit. But things were not normal. Earlier this week, my co-worker came back from shoulder surgery. He was going to have to go to physical therapy several days a week and this would burn up his sick time quick, so we changed shifts. That meant that I got to go to church this Wednesday night for the first time in 4 months. As we were were in praise and worship the speaker for the night got up and said there are bad storms in the area, please go to the shelters in the children's building.

An hour or so later (I lost track of time), we were able to leave. Driving home I listened to the news and found out that the storm had hit 4 miles NE of where we were and it was traveling in a NE direction when it struck. On other words it most likely hit while we were in the shelters.

But God had put me where He did cause He had a need that I could fill. I work with the Children's ministry at the church. We run close to 100 kids on a Sunday morning. I cannot guess how many kids were there but I can tell you that where I wound up in the shelter was real close to where the kids were and when I saw the Children's pastor and his associate running around I looked for the kids I worked with and saw that look it their eyes that said 'we have faith all will be well but we are scared.' I got down on their level and talked with them, played games, sang songs, and in general helped them through a bad situation. Here was a storm raging and they were not with their parents.

I do not tell the story to glorify me so please do not take it that way. I tell it because the children I worked with last night, through a storm was raging around them, had the shadow of God's wing covering them. Last night, that wing was me. Tomorrow it may be you. God puts us in places all the time and we can cast His shadow if we want to. If you can not be under the shadow, maybe you need to be the shadow.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Psalms 25:1-22, Psalms 29:1-11, Psalms 33:1-22, Psalms 36:1-12, Psalms 39:1-13
Tomorrow
2 Samuel 8:1-9:13, 1 Chronicles 18:1-17
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool