Monday, January 19, 2009

The incredible egg

January 19, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: John Baptizes Jesus Matthew 3:13 - 17; Mark 1:9 - 11; Luke 3:1 - 20


Mark 1:9-11 BWE
9 At that time Jesus came from the town of Nazareth in the country of Galilee. John baptised him in the Jordan River.
10 As soon as he came up out of the water, Jesus saw the sky open. He saw God’s Holy Spirit come down on him like a bird called a dove.
11 A voice from the sky said, ‘You are my dear Son. I am very pleased with you.’


Seems like a lot of people have tried in the past to deny the existence of three parts to one God. These verses are one of many verses that show there are three parts to one God, a doctrine of the church that is called the trinity. I am not one who relies on doctrines of the church because many of them are made up and some not even Biblical. I am like Rich Mullins says in his song Creed:

And I believe what I believe
Is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not
The invention of any man

In this case, the doctrine of the trinity to me is a core part of the Gospel. It is the truth. And these verses show that it is true. God speaks, saying He is please, and the Spirit descends as if He was a dove. There are three parts and they are one. Our pea sized brains sometimes have a tough time figuring out that concept. Since we have a hard time with faith, which should be all that is needed, I was able to teach my children that it is simple. Look at an egg. Can I break the egg into three parts, shell, yolk and white. Which one is the egg when I do it. Is the shell? No, and neither are the other two. God is God, we cannot deny that, but take away the Father, Son or Spirit and you do not have God.

Look at the doctrines of your life today? Do they stand up to the test of the Word?


Read for tomorrow: Temptation of Christ Matthew 4:1 - 11; Mark 1:12 - 13; Luke 4:1 -13