Thursday, January 1, 2009

Grace and truth

January 1, 2009

With the start of a new year, a new Bible reading plan, let's go through the life of Jesus.

Today read: John 1:1-18 (Pre-existence of Christ)

John 1:16-17 WEB
From his fullness we all received grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses. Grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

One thing we know from God, we cannot follow the law and gain forgiveness. Actually we can, but we will find ourselves right back where we started. I will give you an example. Suppose Jesus had not come yet. I would be required to take my sacrifice to my pastor and he would do what he had to do under the law. This would be the only way to get forgiven and get right with God. So after the sacrifice I go outside and a guy comes up with a shinny new car. I want it, or in the Old Testament words, I covert it. Time for me to just turn around and go back in to do another sacrifice.

But every sacrifice done was to point to one thing, Jesus. From His death we received grace and would not need to sacrifice again.

Laws can never save us, Jesus Christ can.



Tomorrow read: Matthew 1:1-17 (Genealogy of Jesus through Joseph)