Thursday, January 29, 2009

Eating Grasshoppers

January 22, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: John recounts Christ's baptism; John 1:29-34

John 1:33-34 ESV
33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’
34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”


Many have said in trying to denounce Jesus and His claim to being the son of God, that others never said He was. That claim, even if it were true, would not mean that Jesus was not the son of God, just that others never said it. But it is a false claim. John the Baptist had been told by God that the one you see have a dove land on Him, he is the Son of God.

I guess that one could argue that John and Jesus were cousins in this mortal earth, and that they could have planned this far in advance. I wonder though. Do you think that someone would live in the wilderness eating grasshoppers so that a lie could be told. Do you think that one would give his life by being beheaded so that this lie could continue.

I do not think so. It was the real thing and the things we see in John's life are things that we should see in out own. Do you have a habit that is a struggle. May it is time to deny your body and live like John did. No, do not go out in the desert and eat bugs! Deny your body want it wants so that you can move closer to God.



Read for tomorrow: The 1st disciples; John 1:35-51