Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Work of God

March 2, 2008

Numbers 16:8-10 GW
(8) Moses also said to Korah, "Listen, you Levites!
(9) Isn't it enough for you that the God of Israel has separated you from the rest of the community of Israel? The LORD has brought you near himself to do the work for his tent and stand in front of the community to serve them.
(10) He has brought you and all the other Levites near himself, but now you demand to be priests.


Many who are called to ministry do not realize their place in the ministry. They think that if they are not the top dog, then they are not doing God's will. I know from my own life those statements not to be true. I have run sound in many churches over the years. If I had not made it easier for the people to hear, then the preaching would not be as effective. Does that make me important? Nope. Does that make me necessary? Yes. But I do not have to be saying 'everyone look at me, I run the sound'. In fact, if I was noticed, I was most likely doing a bad job. My job in life was to point to the speaker, not me. If I was grabbing attention, he could not be heard and tell others about Jesus.

In this time in the Bible, some of the Levites were rebelling. They felt that they were just as important as the Aaron and his descendants. They were wrong. They had a job to do, to help the priest, to point to them so the priest could point to God. God quickly put them in their place and the leaders were swallowed into the ground.

When you have a job to do for God, do not seek the limelight unless that is where God puts you.


Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Numbers 16:1-17:13
Tomorrow
Numbers 18:1-20:29
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool