Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sins of our fathers

March 19, 2008

There is an old adage that says that the apple does not fall far from the tree. It basically means that a child will not be much different than the parents that he grew up with. While this is true there are many cases where it is not.

As I write this there is a black man who is running for president. Since he is a democrat I do not follow his political leanings. A lot has been made of the church that he went to and the rhetoric of the pastor that he has sat under. The pastor has said many inflammatory statements about the United States. Since this man is a spiritual son to the pastor there is a feeling that a lot of this may be the way the candidate is.

Deuteronomy 24:16 MKJV
(16) The fathers shall not be put to death for the sons, neither shall the sons be put to death for the fathers. Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

We cannot judge one person for what another one does. Each man has to pay for his own sin. While I could not have sat under a man who spoke the way this pastor did, I cannot blame the candidate either.

See I grew up with prejudice towards people of color. I was told it was OK for them to improve themselves but I had better not make any of them my friends and was even put down by my father when I did. I am not that way. I even attended for a time a mostly black church.

Do not judge one for the sins of their parents. Let the parents be judged on their own. If you had judged me by my father's actions you would not see the real me.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Deuteronomy 24:1-27:26
Tomorrow
Deuteronomy 28:1-29:29
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool