Saturday, March 1, 2008

How long is life?

March 1, 2008

Psalms 90:12 GNB
(12) Teach us how short our life is, so that we may become wise.


What if I was to tell you that tomorrow you would die? Would it change your life? I am sure it would if you knew my words were true. OK then, you are going to die tomorrow! How do I know that? I say, how do you know that it will not happen? Moses says in this Psalm that we need to know just how short our life is so that we can become wise.


Wisdom here deals with the living a good life. If I knew today that tomorrow would be my last, I would deal with my children differently, try to tie up loose ends in all my relationships, well you get the picture. Why do I have to wait to know that the end is near? Why don't I live that way like it could happen any day? It could.

I have a son named Gabe who reads this list so I hope he does not mind me sharing this story. He felt the call of God to work in Children's ministry in Indonesia. Now from what I have read, if you convert a Muslim child to Christianity you are nor going to live very long in Indonesia. On top of that, the area is riddle with earthquakes and volcanoes. As a father it bothers me to see him in an area that he is in so much danger. We talked a while back and we realized that he could come back here to the states and get run over by a bus tomorrow. Neither he nor I know what is promised for either of us as a lifespan. So he lives his life each day, doing what he thinks God wants him to do. For that I am a proud father.

Our life is short. Our prayer should be as Moses' was, teach us just how short it is so we can be wise in what we do.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Numbers 14:1-15:41, Psalms 90:1-17
Tomorrow
Numbers 16:1-17:13
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool