Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thorns in your side

March 9, 2008

As Christians we are called to go into all the world and bring Jesus to them. While we can talk to and befriend them, we must be careful in developing a full blown friendship with them. If we do not, trouble can come. The Israelites faced the same problem in moving into the promised land.

Numbers 33:55 NET
(55) But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land before you, then those whom you allow to remain will be irritants in your eyes and thorns in your side, and will cause you trouble in the land where you will be living.

When we became Christians we had a need to get rid of all that would bring us back to sin. At times in our lives we need to look at what in our life may be causing us to sin and displease God. If we do not the things in our life that bring us to sin will keep doing so, be they human or not. If we do not want them to irritate us all the time we need to get rid of them. A few years ago, I was involved with Internet Chat rooms. I spent a lot of time in them, time that I could have been with my family. I realized that it was affecting my relationship with my wife and I basically got out of them. I did not look back, they were gone. The chat programs were off my machine. Could I go back to it? Yes I think I could without going crazy with it like I did before. But why do I want to try? They would be an irritant to me and I might just go over the edge. Why risk it?

There are things in your life that you need to give up. They are keeping you from God and/or your family. Examine your life now and see if they are there. If they are then it is time to get rid of them.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Numbers 33:1-34:29
Tomorrow
Numbers 35:1-36:13
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool