Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Why do the wicked prosper

January 9, 2008

Job 21:7-9 CEV
(7) Why do evil people live so long and gain such power?
(8) Why are they allowed to see their children grow up?
(9) They have no worries at home, and God never punishes them.


Job asks a question that a lot of ask. His friends have been saying that he has done evil and God is punishing him. Job has listened for a while but now he is getting upset. He disputes their facts. Evil people lead good and full lives and God never seems to do anything to stop them. He never seems to punish them at all. Why is this so.

In my own life I have questioned these same things as I am sure many of you readers have. Why do people who do wrong seem to get blessed while I have problems. Last summer I got laid off. People who I know that lead unsaved lives that curse God still work at that company while I took a loss in pay when I finally could find another job. Why?

The only reason I can get from God is BECAUSE. You know, He is God, and that is the only explanation that He has to give me, in fact He does not even owe me that.

I do know one thing. In the end, the evil people will get their reward. As we talked about yesterday, I know my redeemer lives and I will see Him. There will be a better reward for me in the end, something that Job was not able to see.

Read through the Bible in Historical order
Today
Job 21:1-23:17
Tomorrow
Job 24:1-28:28