Saturday, January 19, 2008

Faith

January 19, 2008

Abraham is listed in the book of Hebrews as a hero if the faith. He was in it because it says that he had faith that he believed the son of promise would come. But there are so many more examples that we never really think about. Such is the one in the verse I want to look at today:

Genesis 22:5 NET
(5) So he said to his servants, "You two stay here with the donkey while the boy and I go up there. We will worship and then return to you."

Think about what has happened here. Abraham has been called by God to sacrifice the son, that which Abraham had waited so long for. The son that Abraham had even tried to help God for. And now God was saying, give him to me.

I have a daughter that I waited a long time for. I believed in faith for her. When I was told that my wife was pregnant, I spoke daughter over her. I have a feeling that if God had told me that I would have to sacrifice her to Him, I would have started looking for another religion. I am not sure that I would have had the faith that Abraham had. But here is Abraham saying that he was going on with the boy and that they would return. Not that Abraham himself would return but they would return.

That took a tremendous amount of faith. It is easy to see why he was included in the hall of faith.

Could you ever have that much faith?

Read through the Bible in historical order in one year:
Today:
Genesis 22:1-24:67
Tomorrow
Genesis 25:1-26:35