Friday, January 11, 2008

Hearing from God

January 11, 2008

I have been through some problems over the years. Not as bad as Job's but I have felt the same way he feels at times:

Job 30:20 MKJV
(20) I cried to You, and You did not hear me; I stood up, and You did not consider me.


If you have been doing the daily readings (or know the book of Job very well), you know that we are getting near the end of the long speeches by Job and his so called friends. In fact this is the last speech before the forth friend shows up. I really do know how Job felt at this point. His friends have all tried to blame him for what happened. Job is calling on God not to free him from the pain but to explain why what is happening is happening. Friends with no comfort and now a God who does not hear him.

Now, if you know the story, how long has Job, or his friends shut up so that God could speak? Quick answer, 0, zip, zilch, nada!! Since Job's first speech, they have not shut up. God if He wanted to could not get a word in edge wise. Well, when God does not speak to me when I talk to Him, is there a similarity here? You could say that. While we may ask God to speak, can we hear him over the TV, radio, or what ever we have playing? The answer is no.

Years ago I divorced my first wife when I was running away from God. I was angry at God and asked Him why all my problems were happening. I did not really want Him to answer. I kept myself busy doing many things. I worked three jobs, spent time on-line, watched a lot of TV. But when the TV was out, the lights were out and I lay on my bed alone, I felt alone. And then, God tried to speak to me because he could get my attention without distraction.

Sometimes I have to remember that when I am so busy, and I ask why all the stuff is happening to me lately. Then I realize, I have not taken time to listen to God in place of just talking to Him?

Take time to talk to God, more importantly, take time to listen.


Read through the Bible in historical order:
Today
Job 29:1-31:40
Tomorrow
Job 32:1-34:37