Saturday, January 26, 2008

Promotion

January 26, 2008

In the list of people that had a reason to blow their own horn to be noticed that run through the pages of the Bible, Joseph is most likely at the top. Sold by his brothers into slavery and while in that slavery falsely accused of rape. The into prison. In each situation he rose above the problems and was soon running things.

Now he stands before Pharaoh, telling him what the dreams that he had meant. Pharaoh is impressed, asked Joseph what he should do.

Genesis 41:33-37 KJV
(33) Now therefore let Pharaoh look out a man discreet and wise, and set him over the land of Egypt.
(34) Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, and take up the fifth part of the land of Egypt in the seven plenteous years.
(35) And let them gather all the food of those good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities.
(36) And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine.
(37) And the thing was good in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes of all his servants.

Notice what Joseph does not tell Pharaoh. Joseph does not say, 'I am the man you need to do this job, pick me.' He tells Pharaoh what to look for and let's him decide. Years ago I used to run sound in the churches that I attended. I have never had any formal training on doing that, but God does not use ability but availability. At one church I was eventually put in charge of the sound for the services and over the volunteers. One Sunday I had a man tell me how great he was, how he had been trained in sound. I got the feeling he was bucking for my job and would of let him have it. I put him in a few services and went to sit and enjoy them for a change. Not very far into the service, I got a tap on my shoulder from an usher asking me when I was going to go fix the sound problems. I said when he asks for help. A few minutes later I got a tap again. I was in the booth in seconds.
By the way, Joseph got the big job.

You see, trying to promote yourself when doing God's work is never a good idea. God promotes you Himself. You need to just make yourself available.

Read through the Bible in Historical order in one year:
Today
Genesis 41:1-42:38
Tomorrow
Genesis 43:1-45:28