Saturday, August 25, 2007

Seed begging for bread...

August 25, 2007

Psa 37:25 KJV
(25) I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

For years this verse has bothered me. I had ministers tell me that this is proof that God will provide what we need for life, that He will not forsake us and that we will not need to beg for our food. Now take a few seconds and please reread the verse. Pick up a different translation if you like. Go ahead, I will wait........ Back, good, now what does that verse say.

1. I have never seen the righteous forsaken - that means that a righteous person will never be forsaken by God. If I live a Godly life then I will not be forsaken.
2. The children of a Godly man will never go out a beg for bread. It does not say that the righteous will not have to beg for bread.

The reason why it bothered me is that for many years I have struggled financially. I will not go into reasons, they are not important. But it bothered me when I would have to ask for help from a ministry or apply for food stamps. Because of the way that verse had been taught to me, I was not a righteous person because I was begging for help. That however is just 'stinkin thinking'. I am a righteous person. In fact the fact that I do not put my kids on display to help me get needs met shows that I have some degree of it. I do not make the kids beg for food, I am out working multiple jobs, I am going to the food bank, etc.

Want proof that the righteous beg for food? Who is most likely the most righteous person in the Bible other than Jesus? Maybe it would be David, the very person who penned this verse. Do you remember what he did when he was running away from Samuel and had not food for him or his men. He went to the high priest and begged for food and the priest gave him the show bread, the bread for God that no one was to eat. The very person who said seed will not be begging for bread, was begging for it himself.

I write this to help you understand that it is necessary to reread some of those old verses that you have clung to when you get under condemnation from them. Satan would like to mess with you. The other thing is that you need to help others in need. Do not put them into a position to beg. Help them to be righteous to God (and their children).