Thursday, July 2, 2009

Peter and Faith

July 2, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Peter walks on water, then sinks; Matthew 14:28-33

Matthew 14:30 KJV
(30) But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Our story today deals with good old Peter. While many talk about his lack of faith, as he started to walk on the water and then failed, I do not see it as a lack of faith. But I get ahead of myself.

Recently when I was listening to my MP3 player on the way home from work I heard an oldie on it. Twilah Parish singing Warrior is a Child. Let me quote you a few words from it:

Lately I've been winning battles left and right
But even winners can get wounded in the fight
People say that I'm amazing
I'm strong beyond my years
But they don't see inside of me
I'm hiding all the tears

Chorus:
They don't know that I come running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and cry for just a while
(Look up for His smile)
'Coz deep inside this armor
The warrior is a child
(Aahhh)

Unafraid because His arrow is the best
But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest
People say that I'm amazing
I never face retreat, oh no
But they don't see the enemies
That lay me at His feet

Chorus:
They don't know that I come running home when I fall down
They don't know who picks me up when no one is around
I drop my sword and cry for just a while
(Look up for His smile)
'Coz deep inside this armor
The warrior is a child
(Aahhh)

Words by
Gary Valenciano

I think that is where Peter was, I know that is where I am a lot of times. I think I have the battles all won. Then something else hits. It is then that I go running back to the only one that can pick me back up. When Peter got on the water he was doing what no one else in the boat would do. And he started to sink. Did he give up and just sink? No, there was a battle to be won here and he turned to Jesus. He knew who was the one that could save him. I do not see Peter as having a lack of faith, I see it as being faith in the one person that could pull him out of the problem he was in. That is the faith we need if we are to do anything at all.

It is OK to drop your sword in the battle against Satan once in a while. Just make sure that you are in the loving arms of He who loves you so that you can get strength back.


Read for tomorrow: Healings in Gennesaret; Matthew 14:34-36; Mark 6:53-56
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list