Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tempt or test

January 20, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Temptation of Christ Matthew 4:1 - 11; Mark 1:12 - 13; Luke 4:1 -13



Matthew 4:7 Murdock
7 Jesus said to him: It is moreover written, that thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.


Jesus quoted the Old Testament. The King James version and other versions says do not 'tempt' God. Then I hear preachers say the verses in Malachi that say to prove me or test me and see that I will not pour out the kingdom of Heaven for you. How can I test God but not tempt Him?

Testing God and tempting God is not the same thing. If I tell God that I want to have my needs met, I can stand on the Word that says He will supply all my needs. If I say I want God to meet my wants, then I do not have a verse to stand on. I am out in an area that I am tempting Him.

So now my question for myself and for you, do you tempt God or do you test him?


Read for tomorrow: John's testimony about Christ; John 1:19-28