Saturday, May 5, 2007

May 5, 2007 - Behind the verse

May 5, 2007

Psa 96:4 KJV
(4) For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.

I always wonder about people who do not want to do praise and worship. They say that God wants us to praise Him quietly and in reverence. My Bible says He is 'greatly to be praised'. Strongs concordance says that it would be better translated vehemently. What does vehemently mean? One definition from the dictionary is 'Characterized by forcefulness of expression or intensity of emotion or conviction;'. That does not sound like the 'I will sit in my chair and quietly hear from God' type of praise. We need to get up and worship Him.

There is a time to stop and listen to the still small voice, but that is not what Praise is about. Praise and worship is giving of ourselves fully in a way that glorifies Him. When you stop to listen to Him, that should be a time of quiet prayer later.

The rest of the verse was not translated well either. When it says feared, it should say revere or show respect. I have taught all my children not to touch a hot pot or they will get burned. Do they fear that hot pot and that is the reason they do not touch it? No, they respect the fact that a hot pot can burn and hurt them. So I fear God? No, I have a deep respect for Him. I know He has the power to snuff my light out in a second if He wished. But I also know that He is my Father and would not do so.

Sometimes you have to look behind the verses to see what they really say.