Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Your view of the world

June 28, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Jesus predicts the disciples' denial; Matthew 26:31-32; Mark 14:27-28

NET: Matthew Chapter 26

[31] Then Jesus said to them, "This night you will all fall away because of me, for it is written:'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'  [32] But after I am raised, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."

For a self-help group that I am part of at my church I have been reading the book Safe People (Cloud and Townsend).  It has been a real eye opener in why some of my relationships do not work.  Like many others, I am at times an unsafe person.  Why? The main reason is that I sin and that breaks a trust relationship that I have with other people.  The safe person realizes when he has done this and works on trying to fix what he has broken when and if it is possible.  

The authors then go on to define what sin is.  It is true it is from Adam and Eve and it is passed on to each one of us. In reality, what it breaks down to is that we have a desire not to be dependant on anyone or anything, including God.  We want to be the creator and not the created.  And so we now try to make the world our way.  When others do this as well conflict happens.

Today’s verse once again shows that the people of Bible time were not a lot different from me.  Jesus tells them that they will sin. Why will they sin? They will sin because the world that they had envisioned was not the world Jesus had. Without Jesus to hold them together, they would run and separate.  It was only when they received the Holy Spirit that they were able to see the world that Jesus saw it.

I need to have that vision of the world as my savior sees it.  In that case, when I do, I will be less likely to want my world and want His in its place.


Read for next time: Jesus tells Simon he prayed for him; Luke 22:31-32

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list