Thursday, June 30, 2011

When a brother fails

June 30, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Jesus tells Simon he prayed for him; Luke 22:31-32


ESV: Luke Chapter 22
[31] Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat,
[32]     but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.

I have had a ‘was that in the Bible’ moment. One of those where  you pick a verse to meditate, read, study on and then something jumps out at you that you never saw before.

I have always read these two verses like this: “Peter, Satan wants to have you and I am going to pray for you so that you will not betray me. “

Looking at it today I see something different: “Peter, I know you are going to fail me, it is in your nature to do so.  But I pray that when you fail, you will not loose faith in me, and you will be able to help the others.’

Big difference.  Jesus knew Peter was going to fail. Praying for him not to fail would have been stupid.  What Jesus said to Peter that day, and He says to me today is that when you fail, and you are going to, Jesus will be there to help you get back up if you will turn to Him.  Then with that pick up, you need to go and help the others of faith not to sin, or to help pick them up when they fall.  This is especially true if when they fail, they loose their faith in Jesus.

Read for next time: Jesus predicts Peter's denials; Matthew 26:33-35; Mark 14:29-31; Luke 22:33-34; John 13:36-38

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list