Monday, June 13, 2011

Foot washing

June 13, 2011

The Life of Jesus; Today Read - Jesus washes the disciples' feet; John 13:1-20


Common: John 13:10. Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not every one of you."

My pastor recently preached on these verses and I learned something that I had not thought of before.  Peter was saying, Jesus, immerse me in you so that I will be clean. Jesus says in this verse, ‘no, you have followed me and committed your life to me, you have made mistakes, lets just wash the mistakes.

As I walk through the house after my shower if I do not have my slippers on, my feat will pick up the normal dust and dirt that comes with living in a house.  Because my feet are dirty, it does not mean that I have to take a shower to get them clean.  I could but it would be overkill.  All I really need to do is to wash my feet off with a wash cloth.

Likewise, when I sin, and I do, I do not need to seek salvation and dedicate myself to the Lord all over again.  All I need to do is ask God to forgive my sins.  I am already clean, I just got myself a little bit dirty.

That can help me get over the depression that sometimes comes over me when I fail one more time.  I know that I can ask forgiveness and be clean once more.


Read for next time: The Lord's Supper; Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:22-25; Luke 22:14-20;  I Cor 11:23-29

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list

--
Want to know what is going on in my brain?  Check out http://dr_bob.blogspot.com/
Daily Devotional for you at http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/