Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Using God's gifts

November 13, 2007


Jude 1:11 EMTV
(11) Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, and in the error of Balaam they have rushed for profit, and have perished in the rebellion of Korah.

Today the life of Balaam gets a look at. Balaam was a person that had been given a gift of prophecy by God. As best we can tell, he used this gift for what God wanted him to do. The problem came when someone offered him a lot of money if he would come and speak against the people of Israel. They were heading to the promised land and the King wanted them cursed before they could get there. At first Balaam did not want to go, but the promise of large rewards turned his head.

Using God's gifts for just our own gain is not really a good idea. I know none of you would do that, at least no knowingly. In thinking about that, you might want to consider what you you do for a day to day job. I am a computer person. In using the skills that God gave me to help people with their computers I earn money. Keeping that money just for myself and not giving some to God makes me no better than Ballaam. Just something to think about.