Friday, November 23, 2007

The Devil Made Me Do It

November 23, 2007

When I grew up there was a comedian named Flip Wilson whose signature line was 'the devil made me do that.' So often as a child I would hear others, adults and children try to use it as an excuse. Sometimes to laughs, but most often, when we young ones would say it, to punishment (some how parents knew that we did it not the devil).

Years later, it is still said. It is not said as a joke, and not even with those words. It is said as a way to escape blame. Things are said like, the devil tempted you to do that. Or, the devil just got into me and I do not know what I did.

2 Timothy 1:7 AUV-NT
(7) For God did not give us a spirit [i.e., a disposition] that makes us cowards but one that gives us power and love and self-control.

Saying the devil made you do it in any way, shape or form is just so wrong on so many counts. The spirit of God is in us, and we are not cowards to the devil.

We have self control to anger. I am not trying to pat myself on the back, but I can mostly only speak from my experiences. A few weeks ago, my 9 year old son was using my laptop computer, one of the last few good things I got before I got laid off. Without thinking when someone called him, he stood up and the laptop hit the floor. The screen is now half dead, only the upper left works. I can hook it up to an external monitor to use it but it is no longer portable like it was. I also just found out the CD/DVD drive does not work anymore. My son went running knowing that dad was going to blow his top. I did not. I kept my cool. No amount of yelling was going to bring t back, and would only make it worse for all the family members. My 11 year daughter later asked me why I could be so cool and not get angry. I told her I was angry. I was very angry, but I chose to walk in peace in that situation so the house would be at peace.

You see, we have the power to walk under love and self-control if we wish to. Do you wish to?