Friday, November 16, 2007

Clue Bat from God

November 16, 2007

Romans 9:22-23 CEV
(22) God wanted to show his anger and reveal his power against everyone who deserved to be destroyed. But instead, he patiently put up with them.
(23) He did this by showing how glorious he is when he has pity on the people he has chosen to share in his glory.

Some of the image that many Christians have about a vengeful God come from verses like this. What they do not look at is what follows at the end of it. He patiently put up with it. I know that in my life I am not patient with the people that I have to deal with. I often joke that I want to get a big inflatable bat and hit them over the head with my 'clue bat'. Some support questions that I have to answer over and over again, and all from the same person. I do however try to take my cue from this verse and patiently put up with them.

God loves up and shows us His glory. He will do it over and over again. Eventually though, He speaks to us in His Word, or people come across our path to give us the advice. Sort of like a gentle 'clue bat' from God. Eventually, He will have to let us go. That is not His choice. He wants us to work with Him. Take some time to listen to what He is saying. Nothing hurts worse that a 'clue bat', especially one from God.