Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving

November 20, 2007

Holidays are not good for me. I have a condition that when the days get shorter, the lack of light brings on a depression and I have to be aware of it. That added to a rough childhood where my dad would use the Thanksgiving/Christmas time as a time to openly display his drinking instead of hiding itlik he usually did and I just do not like this time of year.

In my first marriage, as this time of year approached, the hostility between my wife and I in the later years did not make for good Thanksgiving dinners. There was usually some degree of tension there. The first year after my divorce, I found myself eating at an all you can eat buffet for Thanksgiving, by myself. While I was lonely, I knew that there would be peace, even if it was not the big feast I was used to. What was funny was that I ran into a family that we had know eating there as well. We sat for a few moments together and shared some memories and I could feel the friendship from them.

God's word speaks about this:

Proverbs 15:17 GNB
(17) Better to eat vegetables with people you love than to eat the finest meat where there is hate.

Now do not go canceling your Thanksgiving plans with the in-laws cause the Bible says these words. Do think about them. Maybe the people you know are not the ones that you love. Maybe you need to take the time to find something about them to love. Hate comes about because of a lack of love. Find something to love about them.

Of course, there is always the vegetables...