Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Strength in time of need.

May 4, 2011

The Life of Jesus Today; Read - Jesus predicts day of crucifixion; Matthew 26:1-2


ESV: Matthew Chapter 26
[1] When Jesus had finished all these sayings, he said to his disciples,
[2] You know that after two days the Passover is coming, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified.

Jesus has given His discourse on many things, acting like a prophet.  He now turns to His disciples and tells them what is going to happen.  

I am not sure that I could be so calm if I were in His shoes. He knows what is coming, and in place of making sure that He would be able to handle all the pressure He makes sure that His disciples are prepared for what is to come.  Where did He get that strength?

As I write these words tonight we have just gotten home from church.  My son has aspergers syndrome, high function Autism. He is for the most part normal but little things can set him off.  Tonight one did.  The ride home was quiet as he does not talk when he gets like this.While my daughter appeared to be OK, when she got home, she went to her room, closed the door and I could hear soft crying.  I knocked and went in, she said it was OK, she was having an anxiety attack.  Since I have had a lot on my plate lately I said OK and shrugged it off.  

But God had other plans.  The Holy Spirit talked to me and said that dealing with her brother sometimes can be a strain and that I needed to talk to her about it, tell her it was OK to have bad feelings when he acted up.  I really did not want to deal with this tonight.  I had enough of my own problems that I have been dealing with. When she came to say goodnight to me and pray with me, I looked up at her and told her what God had said to me. And the tears just flowed.  God had nailed it and used me to help her.  In my time of need, I got strength from God to minister to my child, and worked through one or two of my own problems as well.  

I do not compare my self to Jesus, but now, I know where His strength came from, to minister to others when He needed ministering to Himself.


Read for next time: People come early to hear Jesus teach; Luke 21:37-38
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list