Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Secret Service

May 11, 2011

The Life of Jesus Today; Read - Final public appeals to unbelievers; John 12:23-50


John 12:42 ESV

Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue;

Years ago I was part of a start up church that met in a strip mall.  We had a long set of windows that let in a lot of sunlight.  Rather than spend a lot of money on blinds the pastor put up solar film on the windows.  This had a rather unique effect.  During the day time the light would be reflected and people could not see inside the building as they walked by.  At nighttime though, the light inside would reflect back into building and people walking by could see in but we could not see out.  The pastor one time joked that if you did not want to be seen going to church, that coming Sunday morning to the ‘secret service’ would be the one that you should attend.

It was not much different in Jesus day. There were people who wanted to believe in Him but did not want the world to know.  They lived in fear of what was going to happen to them if they did get find out.

In my day to day life, do I live in the ‘secret service’? Do people know that I am a Christian? Or do I look out for my self, and how I think people will see me?


Read for next time:  Plot to kill Jesus; Matthew 26:3-5; Mark 14:1-2; Luke 22:1-2

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list