Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Apr 18, 2007 - Love life

Apr 18, 2007

My dad had a problem when I was growing up. He smoked heavily and drank to an excess. Later on the drinking became alcoholism and the sugar intake caused diabetes. He eventually had to have 2/3 of his stomach removed and yet he refused to quit drinking. Doctors told him that if he would quit smoking and drinking he would be able to live a long healthy life. His reply was, "I am not going to give up living to live."

Joh 12:25 KJV
(25) He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

In my father's haste to enjoy and hold on to the life he loved so much, he threw away so much. First, threw away the chance of grand-kids and great-grand-kids to ever know him. This was a selfish thing on his part as he thought more of himself than anyone else.

Most importantly he threw away the chance for eternal life in heaven (though he could have accepted Jesus at the last moment, his lifestyle was not such that he would have). His is a classic example of throwing away eternal life with God so that he could enjoy this life current. Make no mistake about it, we all have eternal life. It is where we will spend it. Will we spend it in heaven or hell.

Over the years I have fought with this. I have wanted the things of the world. I have come to find out that they are no where near as rewarding as opening my Bible to get fresh insights on how this world functions and what I can do for it. I have enjoyed rare moments with my children in teaching them the word.

I guess it comes down to have the world, loose it all; have Jesus, gain it all.


correction: In yesterdays devotional I made an error in one sentence. The sentence:

In fact there are so many of them, the chances of them all coming true are high.

Should have read:

In fact there are so many of them, the chances of them all coming true are low.

It was clarified in the next sentence so I am sure that most everyone got the meaning. Thanks to my son Gabe in pointing it out.


Please pass the information about this list on to others you may think could use it. Out group is small at this time.