Friday, November 12, 2010

Hermits

November 12, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Mary anoints Jesus in Simon's house; John 12:2-8

John 12:2 (English Jubilee 2000 Bible)
2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served, but Lazarus was one of those that sat at the table with him.

I wonder if I was Lazarus if I would be like this.  If I had come back from the dead, from being in a whole other world, from paradise.  Would I want to just be among ordinary people?  Would I run away and not want to be part of the mundane and every day life of the people around me?  What would I be like.

I see here a person who, upon returning from the most delightful experience one could imagine, just returns to his daily life.  God had spoken to him, Jesus had raised him from the dead, and yet, here he is among every day people and talking and laughing.  

I am convinced that when we receive Jesus into our lives that we are not to just hide away from every one and everything like a monk in a monastery.  There is a time and a place for everything, and there is time to be away, seek time with Him, and receive.  They should not be the majority of our lives.  What we get, we need to tell others, like Lazarus did.

Read for next time: Mary's deed recounted; Matthew 26:6-13; Mark 14:3-9

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list