Thursday, February 7, 2008

Prosperity

February 8, 2008

Exodus 25:2-8 BBE
(2) Say to the children of Israel that they are to make me an offering; from every man who has the impulse in his heart take an offering for me.
(3) And this is the offering you are to take from them: gold and silver and brass;
(4) And blue and purple and red, and the best linen, and goats' hair;
(5) And sheepskins coloured red, and leather, and hard wood;
(6) Oil for the light, spices for the sweet-smelling oil, sweet perfumes for burning;
(7) Beryls and stones of value to be put on the ephod and on the priest's bag.
(8) And let them make me a holy place, so that I may be ever present among them.


Many people have complained that the Bible does not really talk about prosperity and it is man that had read it into it. I look at these verses and think about that sometimes.

Where did God expect these people to get the money from to support what he was asking for. Yes I know He was asking for items, but those items cost money. Last I knew, the Israelites had just gotten out of slavery. Last I knew. slaves did not make a lot of money. So how were they going to be able to do what God was asking them to do?

How? God had provided for these poor people. As the last plague ended, God had told the Israelites to ask their Egyptian neighbors for things and they did. An earlier verse in Exodus says that they plundered the Egyptians as they left.

This shows me an important principal. Yes God wants us to be prosperous. And he wants us to live nice. But some of that is to go back to Him for doing the work that He has called His people to do.


Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Exodus 25:1-27:21
Tomorrow
Exodus 28:1-29:46

http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool link.