Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Center

February 23, 2008

As we move our way through the Bible in readings and devotions, we come to the book of Numbers today. While we call it Numbers, the Hebrew people called it 'Wilderness Journey'. We gave it the name Numbers because both at the beginning and the end of the book, the Israelites were counted. At the opening we find 603,550 people in all the tribes but the Levites . They were God's special people and not to be counted unless God said so. This count was only the men of military age, 20 years old and older. This did not include woman or children which would have made these numbers much greater.

In order to make order out of that many people they needed to be organized. God had them get organized by their tribes. They would have a sense of identity , of belonging this way. Otherwise they would just get lost in the crowd. Then he set out special ways for the tribes to set up camp and to march.

When they traveled or when they camped, God told them:

Numbers 2:17 LITV
(17) And the camp of the Levites, with the tabernacle of the congregation shall pull out in the middle of the camps. As they encamp, so they shall pull out, each man in his place, by their standards.


God is in the center, isn't that a good place for Him to be. As I started my day today, as I often do, I make a list of things to do. On the list, even though it is a Saturday, I put my work priorities . I need to keep them in focus even on weekends because to stay in my job I need to get my certifications. Since I teach part time as well, grading and preparations often take place on the weekends. Let's say that is north of center. To the east, is things that I need to do for my family. I have things around the house that need my attention. I still have not cleaned up all the limbs from an ice storm we had in December and my 'office' area is cluttered and needs cleaning. I also put in here things I need to do for and with family members. To the south is stuff I want to do for my self, books I want to read, things I want to do that are not necessarily family related. Lastly to the west is the things I need to do for spiritual growth. This is not necessarily the worship of God, but the work that allows me to worship Him better, things like this devotional.

Notice that as points on the compass, there is no one things that is more important than any thing else. They all fall on the circle that is my life. But the center is empty. Or is it. There is where, like the Israelites, I need to put the tabernacle of God. That needs to be the center part of my life. Any of the things that I do needs to start from the center so that I can make sure that I am doing it for the right reasons. If it is not coming from the center, from God, then most likely I should reject it and move on to something else.

What is at the center of your compass? Are all the things that you need to do emanating from that center?

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Numbers 1:1-2:34
Tomorrow
Numbers 3:1-4:49

http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool