Monday, December 24, 2007

The real reason for the season

December 24, 2007

Listening to a sermon the other day the speaker said something that really got my attention. We have heard so often that Jesus is the reason for the season when it comes to Christmas. While I understand the reason for the sentiments they are not necessarily true. You see, I am the reason for the season. I can hear the brain cells going 'he is really self-centered isn't he?' Well you are the reason for the season also.

John 3:16 KJV
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If it was not for you and me being in a sinful state, then Jesus would not have had to come and be born. Because we needed salvation, He made himself a human, though He was equal to God. I am thankful for the babe in the manger but I am more thankful for the man who saved me. Take time to meditate on the real reason for the season. God bless.