Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Passwords

December 4, 2007

I love old comedy movies. My daughter sat with me one night watching the Marx Brothers in "A Night At the Opera". I have never seen that girl laugh so much as she did that night. The knew how to do jokes back then. In another Marx film which name escapes me,Groucho and Harpo are trying to get into a speak easy during the time of Prohibition. They knock and a little door opens and a voice says 'what's the password'. Now Harpo knows the password is swordfish but he never talks. He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a swordfish. They let him in.

I got to thinking about that today. We as Christians are sometimes guilty of using the buzzwords of our faith. They can be bewildering to someone either new to the faith or outside of it totally. Without meaning it, we can set up a password to our lifestyle. If they do not know the right way to speak, they will not really be accepted. Jesus is not like that at all.

Revelation 3:20 Murdock
(20) Behold, I have been standing at the door, and I will knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.


Jesus wants to come into all lives, but do we somehow keep Him out to others by making a password. He wants in. Let's not put a password to him for others because He did not it there Himself.