Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Signs

November 17, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Crowds come to see Jesus and Lazarus; John 12:9

John 12:9 (New English Translation)
9 Now a large crowd of Judeans learned that Jesus was there, and so they came not only because of him but also to see Lazarus whom he had raised from the dead.

I have no problems with megachurches, I do have problems with people flocking to them to see the next latest, greatest sign from God.  It bothers me that we have to entertain people to get them in the door.  It is possible to build big churches with just the word of God being preached.

Jesus knew this was the end of His ministry. He and Lazarus made an appearance in Jerusalem and now all the people were flocking around because they wanted to see this man and hope for another miracle.

Tonight I was praying with my children.  I prayed for a good nights sleep for them, for strength to make it through whatever trials they were going through. And then it hit me.  Even though I go to a big church that preaches the word, I was still asking God for miracles even if they were good intentions.  I had to stop and ask myself, is what I receive going to influence how I believe?  If my son has a bad day tomorrow after we prayed for a good one, will I feel that God does not love me? Will I turn on Him like the people did on Jesus.

In my prayers I have to be careful that I am not looking for signs also. Only then can I know that my faith is not based on what God can give me, but what I have received in Jesus.

Read for next time: Chief priests conspire to kill Lazarus; John 12:10-11

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list