Monday, March 26, 2007

Mar 26, 2007 - How thirsty are you?

Mar 26, 2007

How much do you desire God in your life. We can say that we want Him by our actions can so often conflict with what we say and do. The writer of this Psalm tells us at least how much he wants God in his life.

Psa 42:1 CEV
(1) (A special psalm for the people of Korah and for the music leader.) As a deer gets thirsty for streams of water, I truly am thirsty for you, my God.
We can look at that and see someone that takes in God like a deer would drink water from a brook and get this wonderfully serene picture of peace and tranqulity. Barnes commentary on this verse paints a different picture. Thirst here, or pants in many other translations brings into mind more of a parched dryness. He talks about being able to get so close to the dear that they only run when you are just upon them. They have no extra energy to expend on getting away if they do not need to. The dry season is here and there is no water to be found. Now they are drastic for a taste of water.

That is a different picture for me than some senic forest. Here we have a person who goes without God for a short time has such a need to get God back into his life. I know with my job that I need to take time away from church because we rotate a weekend shift amongst us. Those weeks that I cannot go, I have to be careful to take time to listen to tapes and CDs and read my Bible even more. It is so easy to get dry and then think that is the normal way it is. To just be getting just enough of God's to sustain life.

How thirsty are you for God right now? Are you truly thirsty for Him?

Scriptures marked as "(CEV)" are taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1995 by American Bible Society. Used by permission.