Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Mar 13, 2007 - Who is the judge

Mar 13, 2007

1Co 4:3-4 KJV
(3) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
(4) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
Judging is something that goes on in every day life. We judge if our service was good enough to leave a tip. We judge if our children are misbehaving. We even judge if someone loves us or not. We may even be called to do jury duty and judge if a person is guilty or innocent.

I once read a quote, have lost the author, but it had deep meaning to me. It was:

"What others think of us would be of little moment did it not, when known, so deeply tinge what we think of ourselves."

You see, while others may think ill of us, if we do not know if they do, then it does not really hurt us. It is when someone tells us that we are stupid, or not up to their standards, or even that they do not love us that the pain starts to creep in. Paul here is telling us though that what anyone else thinks of us is not important, even if we do know that they do. In fact, what Paul says in verse 3 is that what we think about ourselves is not important.

What we know about or do not know about ourselves is unimportant. What is important is that we are to be judged by God one day. It is what He thinks about us that matters. Do you know what God thinks about you? Are you good in His eyes? How does He see you?

If you do not know how to answer those questions, then take some time in God's word, particularly the Gospel of John, to see what God thinks about you.