Monday, November 21, 2011

Who is on the throne?


November 21, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today: Pilate tries to release Jesus again; John 19:12

Weymouth: John 19:12. Upon receiving this answer, Pilate was for releasing Him. But the Jews kept shouting, "If you release this man, you are no friend of Caesar's. Every one who sets himself up as king declares himself a rebel against Caesar."

Pilate has to make a decision here  He can pander to the crowd knowing that an innocent man will die, thereby being able to keep his position.  His other option is to release Jesus, in doing so he will get the Jewish leaders mad and they will tell his boss that he allowed a man to claim he was better than Cesar (the name is sort of like being called the king).   In other words, keep himself on the throne, or let Jesus claim the throne.

Every day I face a choice.  Though I have accepted Jesus as my saviour, there are times when I take Him off of the throne and put myself up there in his place.  It is my desire to have what I want, and it usually is not healthy choice.  The times that I have done better are when I can put Jesus up there and every day take time out to pray to Him, read the word and do some worship.

Just like Pilate I have a choice.  Every day, I pray that I make the right one.



Read for next time: Pilate sentences Jesus; John 19:13-15