Monday, November 7, 2011

Seeking signs


November 7, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Jesus before Herod; Luke 23:8-10

BBE: Luke Chapter 23 [8] Now when Herod saw Jesus he was very glad, having for a long time had a desire to see him, for he had had accounts of him, and was hoping to see some wonders done by him.
[9] And he put a great number of questions to him, but he said nothing.

Why did Herod want to ask Jesus these things.  Like Pilate he was sure to know of the things Jesus had done.  Unlike Pilate, he wanted a sign.  I believe that God still uses signs and wonders today.  However, they come not when people seek them, but when they seek God.  Herod wanted a sign so he could talk about how he had Jesus doing things for him and raising his stature.  That is the wrong reason.

I need to remember each day to keep my heart pure so that I will follow after Jesus not for what He can do for me, but so that I can thank the person who gives all life.




Read for next time: Herod's soldiers mock Jesus; Mark 15:1-5; Luke 23:11-12