Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Peer pressure



November 8, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Pilate releases Barabbas; Matthew 27:15-26; Mark 15:6-15; Luke 23:13-25; John 18:38-40

It is so easy for us in current day to judge the people in the crowd when Jesus was being sent to Pilate.  If I had been around would I have done what they did?

ESV: Matthew Chapter 27
 [20] Now the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and destroy Jesus.
[21] The governor again said to them, Which of the two do you want me to release for you? And they said, Barabbas.

I can tell myself all I want that I would never do to Jesus what they did, I would have stood up and tried to stop it, but there are two little words that would have kept me from doing so I am sure: peer pressure.

I know you are thinking that peer pressure is only done by youth and teens so that they can fit in and not be a dork.  It really takes place in adult life also. We all want to be accepted so we will give in often to be part of the group.  On the radio last week I heard a story about a man who was in a board meeting and he disagreed strongly with the person next to him on the issue being discussed at the time and they both let each other know.  At one point the chairman took a vote saying that those who agree would signify by standing.  One by one all the men stood up till he was the last one, and then, he stood us as well.  Though he disagreed, he let the peer pressure take over in him.

We are no different.  We want acceptance and to be part of what everyone is doing.  We would have been part of that crowd as well.  And we would have let the one who did not give in to pressure die.

Read for next time: Pilate's soldiers crown and mock Jesus; Matthew 27:27-30; Mark 15:16-20; John 19:1-3