Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Apr 3, 2007 - I'm swimming with fishes ....

April 3, 2007

Mat 12:38-40 KJV

(38) Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

(39) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah:

(40) For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.


We Christians so often want to see signs that prove we are on the right path, doing what God wants us to do. We point to Gideon and how he asked God for a sign and received it. God does not want us to trust in signs, He wants us to trust in Him.

In my own personal life, I can honestly say that I very often seek a sign. I want to see that those around me believe in me before I can start to trust them. This tends to lead to loneliness. Jesus does not want this in our life, he wants us to trust Him that all will work out.

That can be so hard to us. How are things going to be fixed? When will it happen? We tend to want to put things in our own hands because then we have control over it. I am sure that when Jonah was in the belly of the whale, he wanted to find a knife and cut his way out. He had already messed it up so bad in trying to do things the way that he wanted to do them. While in the belly of the whale, he had to learn to trust God.

I pray that you never have to go through the belly of the whale to get God's best for you. But remember that if you do, there is a mouth that will open and let you out when it is God's time for you to get out. In the meantime, trust in Him.