Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mar 19, 2007 - Rocks praise?

Mar 19, 2007

Luk 19:37-40 WNT
(37) And when He was now getting near Jerusalem, and descending the Mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began in their joy to praise God in loud voices for all the mighty deeds they had witnessed.
(38) "BLESSED IS the King," they cried, "WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD: in Heaven peace, and glory in the highest realms."
(39) Thereupon some of the Pharisees in the crowd appealed to Him, saying, "Rabbi, reprove your disciples."
(40) "I tell you," He replied, "that if *they* became silent, the very stones would cry out."
NEW TESTAMENT IN MODERN SPEECH by Richard F. Weymouth

Based on the devotional from yesterday, these people were doing exactly what they should have been doing. Praising God with all that they could. When you start to praise God with all you have, something interesting will happen. The religious people will tell you to be quiet. They will tell you to stop 'playing church.' They will tell you that you do not need to sing and dance before the Lord, that a quiet time of reflection is the way to do things. God's word says otherwise. When we want to worship God we are to do so with the string instruments and other musical devices.

The religious people told Jesus to make the praisers stop praising. And what did Jesus say? If the people stopped praising then the rocks would have to come alive and praise Him. I do not know about you, but I do not want to be out done by a rock. I have a will and it is up to me to do it. It does not say that I can do it if I want. It does not say that I can use quiet time. It does say that I should praise.

Many times when I have been down, singing some praise songs will lift me up. Many times I go to church on Wednesday night and I am worn out from hard work. The time of praise and worship often is renewing to me. Take some time to praise God today. Not because you want to, but because the Word says to.