Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dead bury the dead

Jan 7, 2010

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Unfit followers; Matthew 8:19-22; Luke 9:57-62

Luke 9:59-60 GNB
(59) He said to another man, "Follow me." But that man said, "Sir, first let me go back and bury my father."
(60) Jesus answered, "Let the dead bury their own dead. You go and proclaim the Kingdom of God."

WOW! Heartless it sounds like. Jesus will not even let this man bury his dead father. Except that is not what is going on.

You see, in those days people might linger in a deathly state for a while, much like many people do today. The man was not asking to bury his dead father, but to wait till his dad died, then he would bury him and follow Jesus.

Jesus reply was to tell him that the dead (spiritually) should bury their own kind. It might be years before this man could break free and do what God has called him to. In my own life I could have made my son stay stateside and let me see my grandchildren grow up. In stead, I have let him know that though I miss being a part of their lives, he is doing what God has called him to do in Indonesia, half a world away from me.

Do not take time when God tells you to do something. It may be that you need a training time, but when God tells you it is time to move, it is time to move.

Read for next time: People afraid to speak publicly of Jesus; John 7:11-13
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list