Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Where is your faith?

June 2, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Ill woman is healed by touching Jesus; Matthew 9:20-22; Mark 5:24-34; Luke 8:42-48

Mark 5:28-29 BBE 
 28 For she said, If I may only put my hand on his robe, I will be made well.
29 And straight away the fountain of her blood was stopped, and she had a feeling in her body that her disease had gone and she was well.

Mark 5:34 BBE 
 34 And he said to her, Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be free from your disease.

As a young Christian I had to try to understand what seemed a contradiction to me.  I had come out of a church steeped in its worship of relics.  Yet I came face to face with faith healers like Oral Roberts.  I wanted to believe that God could heal but had problem with the use of their 'gimmicks' like prayer cloths.  But looking at this verse I can see where they came from.  Her belief, her faith, was in touching the hem of God's garment.  It was not however, Jesus clothes that healed her, it was her faith.  Jesus even said it. 

Now that faith has to be in the right place.  God can work with you where you faith is.  For some, that faith may be in a piece of cloth that appears to have been anointed by a preacher.  The next step however is not to keep your faith in the item, but to move it to the Father God and His Son Jesus.  Jesus through this event, and the healing of Jairus's daughter coming up, took the time to teach the people to move their faith to a higher place.  But he met each one where their faith was at. 

Read for tomorrow: Daughter's death is reported to Jairus; Mark 5:35-36; Luke 8:49-50