Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Value

June 10, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: 12 sent out to preach; Matthew 9:35-11:1; Mark 6:7-13; Luke 9:1-6

Matthew 10:31 BBE
31 Then have no fear; you are of more value than a flock of sparrows.

I know that one of my greatest problems in life, and I would assume the same for a lot of other people, is that I have no worth in this life. When you work a lot of jobs and everything seems to be spent before you get it, you question what your work means. When there are troubles in relationships you wonder if there is much more in life if this is what those who love you are like. Even just the day to day grind of the same thing can get you down.

No enter Jesus. As He sends the disciples out to preach He tells them of their value. You are more value than a flock of sparrows. Now out of context that does not seem to mean much. But He had just said that not one of them dies that the Father does not let them.

On the college campus where I work we have a bunch of Canadian Geese that come in each spring and summer. At times they seem to be in a larger population than the students. As I look at them I see the eating grass and leaving messes behind all over campus. I think that they serve no useful purpose, save that a hunter might get one and have a good meal. But as I look on them, I can see, that as useless as I may think they are, they have value to God. My value, according to Jesus, is even higher.

So the next time you see something in nature that seems to have no value, think just how much more valuable you are and know that you are loved.

Read for tomorrow: Death of John the Baptist; Matthew 14:1-12
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list