Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Why Am I Here

April 22, 2008

I once made a comment to a person that I knew, that if you wanted to know what a manic-depressive is, all you had to do was to read the Psalms of David. At one point he is at the highest of highs and the next Psalm he is at the lowest of lows, trying to figure out where God is. Now I realize that the Psalms were written over his lifetime and are not necessarily in the order he wrote them. They reflect the ebb and flow of a normal life. Still, the contrast is there and that is why you can turn to Psalms for almost any period of your life and find help.

David was not afraid to ask the big questions when it came to faith either.

Psalms 8:1-9 KJV
(1) O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
(2) Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
(3) When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
(4) What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
(5) For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
(6) Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
(7) All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
(8) The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
(9) O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!


When I look up at the heavens I often repeat to myself those words of David. On nights when I can get out in the country away from the city lights and look up at the sky and see the stars, I wonder why I am here. This whole universe was put together so that we who live on this planet earth could exist. And why do I exist in this world? What is the purpose of me being here? What of significance will I leave behind? Why did God give me the control of the earth so that animals have to obey me? I am higher than angels but lower than God. Why?

Those are tall questions. I have no fail-safe answers for them. I do know that I am important to God. If there was no one else that needed, Jesus would have died for me. God must want me to love Him. So since he did so much for me, I must love Him with all my heart. It is not easy. The flesh wants to get in the way too many times. The flesh can be over come.

Ponder why God loves you and created you some time.


Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Psalms 6:1-10, Psalms 8:1-9, Psalms 9:1-20, Psalms 10:1-18, Psalms 14:1-7, Psalms 16:1-11, Psalms 19:1-14, Psalms 21:1-13
Tomorrow
1 Chronicles 1:1-2:55
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool