Saturday, April 26, 2008

Taking Inventory

April 26, 2008

I have worked many jobs in my life. One was a sit down fast-food restaurant. I learned that when you had a rush of customers, that was not the time to prepare for it. The time to prepare for the rush was before it happened. When my other co-workers would be slowing down their work or taking breaks, I would be making sure that the dishes were done and the special needs stuff stocked. That way, when the rush came, I was not needing to worry about how to make it through, I had made plans for it. David in the Psalms learns a similar lesson.


Psalms 73:1-3 Webster
(1) A Psalm of Asaph. Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
(2) But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
(3) For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

You see, David did not do an inventory to see where he was and when the rush of emotions hit, he was not able to handle it and almost stumbled. It would be better to take a daily inventory. I try to do something like this as I get ready for sleep each night. Look at who has offended you each day and why they did. Was there something that you did to bring it on, or was it just a bad day for them? Look at what you have done to other people that was wrong and seek out the forgiveness of God. Taking inventory is a good way to see what is going on with your life. It helps you see the trends that are happening in your life before they get to, like David did, the stage where they are about to make you stumble and fall.

Read through the Bible in one year in Historical order
Today
Psalms 73:1-28, Psalms 77:1-20, Psalms 78:1-72,
Tomorrow
1 Chronicles 6:1-81
http://tinyurl.com/24beby for a daily reading tool