Sunday, February 25, 2007

Feb. 26, 2007

Feb. 26, 2007

Joh 6:9-13

(9) "There is a little boy here who has five barley loaves and a couple of fish, but what are they among so many?"

(10) Jesus said, "Make the people sit down." Now there was plenty of grass at the spot; so the men, about five thousand, threw themselves down.

(11) Then Jesus took the loaves and gave thanks, and distributed them among the people who were sitting on the ground; so too with the fish as much as they wanted.

(12) When they had plenty, He said to His disciples, "Pick up the pieces that are left, that nothing be wasted."

(13) So they picked them up and filled twelve baskets with the pieces that were left from the five barley loaves, which were more than the eaters wanted.

Williams New Testament

Have you thought about how great a miracle this is? There were thousands of people at this gathering as we can tell from other accounts in the Gospels. All they had to feed all these people was a little boys lunch. I call this the 'Happy Meal' miracle because what he had was the equivalent of one. Though I have read and re-read it so many times, it hit home today as I read it again to my children. Think about the size of a Happy Meal. I know it would take a couple of them to fill me up. When I thought about an event that I went to today I realized just how big a miracle it was.

Today was 3V Sunday at church. Our children's pastor has these once a month for 'Vision, Vittles and Volunteers, ' and as I am a new volunteer I took my family to it. The children's Pastor, Pastor Jeremy, mentioned that he was thinking of cutting this back to once a quarter because of the cost, but someone had come up with and pledged the $300 a month that he would need to keep it going once a month. Now I am not great at estimates, but I would say there was about 150 people there. There was a pretty good spread of food there and very little left over afterwards.

Now, picture Pastor Jeremy walking up in front of this crowd with a Happy Meal box. As he walks around to the people he puts his hand in the box and when he pulls it out he has some food. He does this for each person there and even has left overs. He just saved someone about $295 dollars. I know it may be hard to picture it as you were not there, but picture a crowd of about 150 people and all of them fed for around $5.

What a miracle working God we have. How amazing that this could be done. Do you think that He can do the same for you today.