Friday, February 23, 2007

Feb. 23, 2007 - Wearing our witness

Feb. 23, 2007

Deu 11:18-19 KJV
(18) Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.
(19) And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
God wanted the people of Israel to wear the proof of their faith as something that other people could see. Not just anyone, their children were to see these signs of their faith. They were to take the Words of God and put them into a prominent place, on their forehead and on their hands. By the time of Jesus the religious leaders had made a big show of hit to show how religious they were. They would try to outdo each other with how noticeable they could make these signs. Isn't it great that we do not do that today.

One day I sat in church and looked at some of the t-shirts that the people were wearing. One 20 something person was wearing a t-shirt mentioning 'Abercrombie and Finch.' I recalled that they had a catalogue that appealed to this group and it was under fire because they had nudity in the pictures in it. I looked around some more. There were scatterings of 'Planet Hollywood' and "Eskimo Joe's" shirts. Last I knew, both of these places were bars. I said to myself, are these a good witness to others? Would Jesus be happy that we were wearing things like this? Even some of our Christian t-shirts can be marginal. I once saw a woman wearing a shirt that said "I am the wretch that the song talks about." I knew she like country music so I tried to think about what song she was talking about. When I asked her she said, "Amazing Grace."

You see Deut. 11:18-19 has not been removed from a fact just because we are not under the law. What we wear is a testimony to who we are. People see us in these t-shirts and make decisions about us. Even some very important people, our children. Are we going to go to hell for wearing such a shirt? I do not think so? But the devil can use things like this to steal our witness. What do you wear out in public? Would God be happy with it? More importantly, what does it say about you?