Thursday, February 22, 2007

Feb. 22, 2007

Feb. 22, 2007

Gen 1:1-3 The Scriptures '98+
(1) In the beginning Elohim created the heavens and the earth.
(2) And the earth came to be1 formless and empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Elohim was moving on the face of the waters.
Footnote: 1 Or the earth became.
(3) And Elohim said, “Let light come to be,” and light came to be.
• "Scripture taken from The Scriptures, Copyright by Institute for Scripture Research. Used by permission".
www.messianic.co.za
The other day I came across a news article from a Christian News website. I thought that they being Christian's would use sources that were reliable. The article had to do with a Kentucky college student who had, the article claimed, a strong theory that proved that Genesis 1: 1-3 were really how things happened. It stated how further information was available at his website but the basic theory is that sound (God speaking) passing through water (The Spirit) in a certain fashion would produce luminescence . I thought from the way the article read that he had strong support from many areas. I thought that I needed to blog about this but then thought better. I then meditated it on a while and felt there needed to be a devotional about it. Science has met religion finally. Like so much else, the Bible was being proved right.

In preparation for doing this devotional I went back to the news page and noticed that though they mentioned the student's web site, they did not provide a link or even the address. A search on his name produced many results, not just his web page. I realized why as I went to his site. It was basically an ad for his book that would prove that the Genesis account was real. For just $29.95 you could get an 86 page book that showed how God was right and science was wrong. You could not read his theory anyplace on the site though he had testimonials from his teachers.

A quick look at the other sites showed why. Both Christians and non-Christians had looked at the book and said that it really had nothing of substance to it. While the web page and news article said that it was a proven fact that sound sent through water a certain way would produce light, the facts were that it is a scientific theory that has yet to be proven. With that, I got a little down because there went my devotional. Time to meditate on what God wants me to write about now.

God replied to do it on the article and Genesis 1: 1- 3. I had what I refer to as a Moses moment (that will be explained in a future devotional) and told God that the article was a bunch of garbage and that it was not suitable to be used. And then that still small voice in me said, "I know, so write about it." It took me a long time to realize what God was trying to say to me but I finally did. You see, I had put my faith on a news article that proved the Bible was right. If I did that, how many others, who did not take the time to follow up on reading the original web site, did the same thing I did? Does it really matter what science can prove and not prove? Is my faith in God any less because the article was not real honest in what they said?

Years ago there was a bumper stick that turned me off as a young Christian. It seemed so arrogant. It stated: God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It. I now see the wisdom in those words (thought I still think they are a little arrogant, especially on a bumper sticker). God said 'light come to be" and it did. Why do I need science to prove it to me? All I need is faith that God did what He said He did. I know that I am not alone on this, it is just that others have it a different way. They might think that if I get the money I need to pay the bills, they I will believe in a God who supplies all my needs. Or maybe they think that if you want me to stay in this marriage God you need to change my mate's heart. God does not need to prove to you that He is, you have to have the faith that what it says in His Word, will turn the light bulb on in your head and say that no matter what, God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It. My God is ElShadi , the God who is more than enough. The Word says there are three things, Faith, Hope, and Love, but the greatest of these is Love.

We need to get off the prove it to me and get on to the Word.