Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hiding Problems

May 24, 2011

The Life of Jesus; Today Read - Plot to kill Jesus; Matthew 26:3-5; Mark 14:1-2; Luke 22:1-2

EMTV: Mark Chapter 14
[1] Now after two days it was the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how they might get hold of Him by guile, and how they might kill Him.
[2] But they said, Not during the feast, lest there be a disturbance of the people.


It is interesting that the verse that is before this talks about how there were people who were following Jesus but they did so in secret as they feared the leadership. Now the leadership is hiding as well. They are concerned about the people because if they deal with the ‘Jesus problem’ the people will turn against them.  

Here we have two groups that are hiding from each other because of fear.  In either case, Jesus dies because they both sit back in fear, one of the leadership and the other of the people.

Real life is like that to.  I have some secret in my life and it will consume me because I fear that if people know the secret, then they may not want me anymore.  So I hide it from them if fear.  Meanwhile they have a secret and are afraid to share it with me because I might use it against them.  So even though we may be able to help each other through these problems, we do not because we live in fear.

It is only when we can bring these problems out in the open that we can get help for them.  Unfortunately, bringing them out in the open is the last thing we want to do. It is only when we reach the end of our rope that we cry out to God for the help we need, and then He sends us friends who we can share, and as the Word says, ‘iron sharpens iron,’ and we can grow into what we need to be.    

I need to not live in fear and learn to trust those who can help me. Even when I feel that I can not trust them.

Read for next time:  Judas bargains to betray Jesus; Matthew 26:14-16; Mark 14:10-11; Luke 22:3-6

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list